WWW Link: http://www.turtle-foundation.org
Period June 2010 onwards
Location Boavista, Cabo Verde
Turtle foundation is seeking highly motivated individuals that would like to participate in our sea turtle conservation projects in Boavista, Cape Verde.
We are currently accepting applications for the following positions:
– Conservation Volunteers (minimum 2 weeks)
– Camp Coordinators (necessary stay of 5 months)
Camp Coordinators will be responsible for the running of the beach camps and will work under the supervision of the Field Coordinator.
Specific duties of the Camp Coordinator:
* Manage all aspects of field work carried out on the beach: scheduling of the patrols, task allocation, equipment maintenance and data collection;
* Maintain camp in proper functioning order in terms of hygiene and general organization;
* Ensure that there is enough food and drinking water at all times, as well a general camp supplies (cleaning material, toilet paper, cooking utensils, etc);
* Coordinate with local partners for acquisition of food and/or supplies;
* Assist Turtle Foundation staff in organizing educational events that take place in the camp;
* Maintain good communication with Field Coordinator or other TF staff;
* Report to the Field Coordinator with updated data every week;
General Duties of Participants
Patrols are undertaken each night at varying hours and in the early morning. Our beaches range 3Km-5Km. The patrols serve several functions and may last between 4-6 hours:
* Search for nesting activity and nesting turtles;
* Helping with tagging post-nesting turtles, carapace measuring and other data collection;
* Search for any evidence of nests hatching;
* Nest excavations and relocations;
* Collect data on nesting turtles and nesting events;
* Maintenance and preparation of equipment
Beach Clean ups
These are done regularly and involve schools, communities, local businesses and the hotels in Boavista.
Education & awareness
* Producing and distributing conservation related signs in the beaches (ongoing activity);
* Assisting with organized turtle watches and other events for school/community groups & tourists;
The position of Camp Coordinator would suit an ambitious individual who wishes to pursue a career in sea turtle conservation. You will report to the Field Coordinator but should be capable of managing the project with little supervision. Applicants should comply with the following requirements:
* Available for a period of 5 months (June 1st – October 31st (starting and ending periods may vary with the project, check details on website);
* Demonstrated oral language skills in Portuguese. Able to converse, receive and understand instructions in English.
* Be a calm and extremely responsible individual, that withstands extremely difficult and sometimes adverse living and working conditions;
* Must have up to date First Aid Certification;
* An educational background in Wildlife Conservation, Biology, Ecology or similar field is preferred;
* Minimum age of 21;
* A team player and proven leadership skills.
Volunteers will work under the Camp Coordinator’s supervision and comply with the following requirements:
* Available for a minimum of 2 weeks;
* Able to converse, receive and understand instructions in English;
* Be able to withstand extremely difficult and sometimes adverse living and working conditions;
* Minimum age of 18;
* Physically in good condition and good health and enjoy working outdoors;
* Being able to work in remote areas under extremely basic conditions (no sanitation in beach camps).
No experience is needed, however you must be willing to work hard as the research requires long walks (up to 15 km) in warm and humid conditions on a daily basis. You also need to be friendly and communicative, be able to work in a group (as well as to lead it) and live in a beach camp setting.
Turtle Foundation will incur with the costs towards food and accommodation during your time in the project, and transportation to and from project sites once in the island. A small stipend, as well as assistance towards international travel will be offered.
Volunteers are requested to cover a participation fee of €12 per day during their time in the project. Longer stays will benefit from reduced fees.
Airfare, travel/medical insurance and personal expenses are not included in the cost. It is mandatory for all applicants to take out travel and medical insurance for the duration of the project. On free days participants cover their own expenses.
Please visit our site at http://www.turtle-foundation.org for more details on how to apply for this position.